Happy almost near the end of week 2 Vegan Mofoers!
At this point you’re probably thinking that I only live off of sandwiches, and you’d be half right! I can eat the hell out of a good sandwich, they’re like the perfect food, well, besides for pizza, but I’m not about to whip one of those up for lunch. I’ve already got soup, noodles and my fair share of sandwiches down, so now it’s time to give salad a go. Don’t worry, you haven’t seen the last of my sandwich eating escapades, I’ve still got plenty more recipes tucked away!
After making all that tofu and coconut bacon, I couldn’t just leave you there with a pile of bacon and nothing but one sandwich to make with it, that just ain’t right. So this week I decided to make a hefty salad that’s inspired by a sandwich (see? That’s how awesome sandwiches are). The super tasty and totally not vegan Clubhouse sandwich!
Besides for the Alberta obsessed beef on a bun (seriously, what’s with that?), the Clubhouse sandwich is pretty much two giant thumbs down in the cruelty-free department, since it’s basically a big ass sandwich with a bunch of meat in it. A lot of diners serve them and they used to be my favorite thing to order whenever we hit up one of those joints, so it only seemed right to incorporate it into one of my lunches, just minus the meat…and most of the bread.
If you just so happen to be one of those people who have never heard of a Clubhouse Sandwich, it’s got turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo, with an extra piece of bread tucked in the middle. So to create my salad, I pretty much just took all those ingredients and chucked them together in a bowl. Ok, I did put a little more thought into it then that, but it’s another one of those overly easy recipes where the only utilized brain power was used to not cut off my fingers when I was slicing veggies.
I tore up some romaine, added some sliced cherry tomatoes, coconut bacon, avocado (duh!), and chopped smoked tofu, at the time I hadn’t made the Smoky Chickeny soy curls yet but I’m including them in the ingredients since they would have been a much better addition. For the dressing, I just mixed together a simple combo of mayo, mustard and vinegar, tossed it all together and voila! Oh and croutons! Can’t forget the croutons, they’re what add the delicious crunch to every bite. I actually didn’t think I would easily find any vegan croutons but there they were shining like a beacon at the very first grocery store I hit up. You can use whatever flavor you find, the ones I used were flavored with balsamic vinegar and black pepper. Or you can just make your own, all you need is some bread, oil , spices and an oven, if you’re in need of a recipe, check out the one Allysia has posted at The Real Meal.
My snack for this lunch was a couple of my favorite Dr. Kracker Spelt crackers with peanut butter, if you’re a weird spaz about texture like I am, these things are like crazy crunchy crack (now say that 10 times fast). They make you sound like you’re eating rocks and that’s just how I like ‘em. For something sweet I also packed the last of the summer peaches and an Oskri Quinoa Bar. Honestly, I really didn’t like the bar, the texture was really crunchy and great but I was not a fan of the flavour, it basically just tasted like brown rice syrup and nothing else, meh.
Lunch Lady Tips:
- Pack the dressing in a separate container then your veggies and only combine when you’re ready to eat, otherwise it will cause the lettuce to go limp and kind of gross.
- For a punch of protein, go with some diced baked or smoked tofu/tempeh, roasted chickpeas, or soy curls.
- Pack all of your lunch fixin’s the night before to save yourself some early morning stress. Just pack everything in a cooler bag and store in the fridge to grab and go.
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups romaine lettuce, rinsed, dried and roughly chopped
- 8 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 a ripe avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut bacon
- 1/2 cup diced baked tofu or Smoky Chickeny Soy Curls
- 1/3 cup croutons
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the romaine, tomatoes, avocado, bacon and tofu. Add the dressing and lightly toss. Serve immediately topped with croutons.